Hurricane Harvey Disaster: TX Nursing Licensure Update
The Texas BON has implemented a disaster licensing procedure in response to devastation left by Hurricane Harvey. If you are a LVN/LPN or RN with a current Compact multi-state licensure you need not apply and can work in Texas without application. Nurses not possessing a compact license will need to follow this procedure: Pull endorsement application from the Board website:
- Only applicants with current, unencumbered APRN licensure in another jurisdiction will be eligible for interim approval.
- *APRN applicants without current RN multistate compact licensure must also submit endorsement application for RN licensure (see “b.” for RN endorsement application above)
- Pull application for interim approval for Advanced Practice Registered Nurses at: https://goo.gl/SuW3EV
- APRNs requesting prescriptive authority will be reviewed for interim approval to prescribe dangerous drugs only
- APRNs seeking authorization to prescribe controlled substances (schedules III-V only) must request approval from the Drug Enforcement Agency at: https://goo.gl/hjCnR
Before sending, WRITE “HARVEY/[INSERT NAME OF EMPLOYING FACILITY or AGENCY]” IN CAPS AT TOP OF APPLICATION
Submit the completed PDF form(s) to the BON:
- Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fax to 512-305-7401
Application fees are waived for this emergency process. Applications will be reviewed and if applicant has no current discipline or other eligibility issue, they will be issued a temporary license (LVN, RN) to practice or interim approval (APRN) for the purpose of responding to the declared emergency.
This license/interim approval is valid until the BON waiver issued by the Office of the Governor is terminated or until the Hurricane Harvey disaster declaration is lifted or expires.
By: Tory Neal, RN BSN MHA CPTC
Tory Neal is the Founder and CEO of Motivello Nurse Staffing as well as a travel nurse and organ procurement and transplant coordinator. He regularly works with LifeGift, the designated organ procurement organization (OPO) for Texas Medical Center as well as North, Southeast and West Texas serving 200 hospitals across 109 counties.
For more information on Motivello Nurse Staffing please visit http://motivello.com or call 901-969-4618 today. Connect with us on social media below.